Observation Skill-building Exercise

Lalita Drepaul

Professor Nicholas

ENG 21002

25 February 2019

Reflection; Observation Essay 

In my English class, I was given the assignment to observe an event. This idea seemed strange to me because I’ve never had to observe anything and write a paper about it. I had to pick an event to go to, so I picked the most recent one; The Spring Activities Fair in Shepard Hall. When going to the fair there was a lot happening in different parts of the hall. I felt like I couldn’t see majority of interactions because the hall was very crowded. Though I tried to observe different aspects of the halls such as the floor layout and table placements. The sounds I heard, the crowds I saw, and the food I tasted. 

I tried incorporating my emotions and thoughts that I had during the event. I felt strange just staring and writing things I noticed. Though I’m not used to writing down my emotions or my own perspective. By not actually participating and interacting with other people and organizations, I was able to notice many things I wouldn’t have cared to notice before. I should’ve paid more attention to some of the clubs that attended the fair, because I know there is a very vast number of clubs at CCNY. Getting additional information on the clubs could’ve added more to my essay. 

As I was reviewing my original first draft of my observations essay, I kept in mind and noted things that should be added and removed. Firstly, I had to extend the essay from two pages to three, being mindful of adding new ideas. As I was looking over the ‘Observing Your Observation’ paper given to me in class, I was able to see the parts that I’ve missed and should’ve incorporated. Such as the date of the event, the architecture of the building, my emotions and feelings that I had during the event. When looking over the peer review worksheet, my peer said to include more reactions. While adding these components to the draft I was able to lengthen my essay. I also gave my tutor my draft to look over and explain my mistakes, which helped me revised any grammar errors, awkward and run-ons sentences.