Interview Skill-building Exercise

Lalita Drepaul

Professor Nicholas

ENG 21002

10 March 2019

Interview with a Freshmen

I interviewed my friend Charles Johnson, with nothing really in mind. I just asked him a few questions about schools and jobs opportunities. Johnson is an 18 years old freshman attending York College, he is currently working his way towards the Occupational Therapist program. He is a hard-working individual who thinks ahead of everything, as I’ve come to know him. He is currently unemployed but wishes to find one soon so he can start making his own money. I interviewed him to find out what his decided major and career choice is and why. My reasons for interviewing him was that I wanted to get an understanding of what kind of student he is, and to find out about his ambitions for his future. As well as get a better outlook on how an incoming freshman entering college perceives the ideas of having a subsequent plan, with such few information about how to get started. 

My first question to Johnson was, what was he taught about planning his future? He said “Throughout my childhood my parents have always made sure I would be capable of providing for myself in the future. Many of the things they taught me were primarily for the benefit of my future. I was coached on things such as determination, self-discipline, and good moral values. These three important factors are vital in choosing a career that provides a comfortable wage while also being somewhat satisfied. Conversely, the most fundamental lesson I have been taught from my teachers and the schooling system is that conformity leads to mediocrity. Growing up without being taught to think critically has led me to reflect on my younger years, where following a paved path was encouraged. These lessons that I’ve been taught have helped me plan my future in a unique way that will hopefully leave me making a good income and living a satisfied life.” I asked this question to get an understanding of his viewpoints and to see what he was taught about having goals and objective that will help him for his future endeavors.

My second question, what his views on having a career? He said, “In my life, I value income more than career ‘satisfaction’. Although I would never work in a job that makes me miserable, a high income holds more opportunistic value to me. Rather than seeking out a job that you’ll hopefully love, your earnings will give you more opportunities to do the things you truly enjoy. The distinction between fulfillment and enjoying your job is important because a person’s sense of value most often comes from their salary. Without a sense of value and fulfillment it’s very unlikely someone would enjoy their career choice.”

I asked Johnson what made him decide on becoming an occupational therapist. He responded, “I expect to be working in a creative environment such as helping disabled children, elderly citizens, or injured athletes. Although this career choice may change, the ability to help someone in my own way is what drives this decision.” He has a basic idea of how he will pursue his plans. He also mentions, “I do, the type of Occupational Therapy degree I’m pursuing involves a joint bachelors/master’s degree that allow you to earn both degrees on an accelerated schedule. It involved a 4+1 or a 4+2-year program, a master’s degree and licensure are generally required to become an Occupational Therapist.”

I was intrigued to hear about Johnson’s ideas and his outlook on college life. He offered me very detailed answers, which I was able to get a better understanding of how he is planning on going through college, with a clear and precise plan at the time being. Interviewing Charles Johnson gave me a different perspective of how someone just entering college, is able to know their pursuit in their college academics. I was able to see the differences on his outlooks when it comes to growing up with parents, who are motivated and supportive of their child and college endeavors. I recognized that Johnson’s parents pushed him to succeed in life and to always working hard at all moments, it will ultimately pay off at the end. I was interested in hearing what he had to say.